My own 10 rules to face the sales in the best way.
1. Don’t go randomly! Mark down the shops you’d like to visit according to a specific wish-list. You will waste less time and money and the satisfaction will be higher.
2. Insist on quality and cult items such as a blue cashmere sweater or a leather pair of shoes. Don’t think to make a deal with temporary must-haves : you should have bought them at the beginning of the season and the next winter they will be old.
3. Increase your focus on neighborhood stores: the range is guaranteed and, if your skill is high, you can get an extra discount.
4. Beware of crazy sales. The “rip off”effect is just around the corner.
5. Don’t buy surplus. The risk to end up with something you’ll never wear is high!
6. Go shopping alone.
7. Take a peek to the new collection. Why do I have only to go for what is on sale?
8. Give yourself a budget and use cash in order to really see how much you’re spending.
9. If you have saved in view of the sales, buy something really special!
10. Always be yourself! Don’t point too far away from your style: you already know from the beginning that you’ll never wear it!